Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So much free time and so little to fill it with.

One of the hardest things about having my husband deployed is filling all the free time that would have been spent with him. This is especially hard on the kids. My husband would often take them out hiking and take them to the park.
To help fill their time I enroll them in classes. Tae Kwon Do and swim for the oldest boy this summer, Pom Poms and swim for the daughter. And this is where I have to say a big 'Thanks' to the YMCA. They have a fantastic program for the families of deployed military members. The family of a deployed soldier/sailor/coastie/airman can get a free membership at the Y for the deployment period. There are catches. The membership must be used at least 8 times a month (not a problem for our clan) and it is not avaliable at all YMCA locations.Contact Military OneSource at militaryonesource.com or 800-342-9647 to confirm eligibility and work through the process. Some YMCA's will even give the family free kid care or towel service. That all depends on the location, so don't be afraid to shop around.
This membership at the Y has been a God send to us. There are low priced classes for the kids to take; swimming, karate, pom poms, ballet, etc. Plus, while they are at class I can go workout. Zumba, Body Combat, Kickboxing, and Step aerobics are some examples of what is offered. Now I can work on getting off the weight I have been trying to ignore since having my last baby.
We have been enjoying our membership at the Y so much, in fact, that we intend to keep it even after my husband returns from Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment